The Waco INF in action at Langley Airport.
The Waco Aircraft Company of Troy, Ohio was a major manufacturer of aircraft in the U. S. from 1928 - 1935. Beginning in 1921 as the Weaver Aircraft Company they moved to Troy in 1924 and became the Advance Aircraft Company keeping the Waco logo. From 1929 they changed the name to the Waco Aircraft Company. The Waco (wah-co) system of model designation takes some time to understand - the first letter identified the engine-type, the second the wing style, and the third the fuselage design.
The Waco F series of two and three-seat light biplanes were developed to replace the O series, and entered production in 1930, the initial models being the INF (125 hp Kinner B-5), RNF (120 hp Warner) and KNF (100 hp Kinner K-5) three-seaters. This series culminated in the UPF-7 military trainer of which 600 were built between 1937 and 1942.
Built in 1930, this airplane is the oldest flying in Western Canada, and one of a few Waco INF's in the world. It was designed as a sport plane, and like most Waco's displays a high quality of construction and has very good flight characteristics. It is 3-place, and its 125 hp Kinner radial engine is of the type that was standard in the late 30's. Delivered as a 125 hp Warner powered RNF, it was converted to an INF (125 hp Kinner).
It was originally used for "corporate flying" by a Seattle based washing machine salesman, and visited B.C. air shows in the 1930's. It then passed through 16 owners in 20 years, arriving in B.C. in 1972.
The museum is very proud of this beautiful airplane, which was donated to CMF in flying condition in December 1979 by Mike Meeker of Mission City, B.C. It is currently undergoing refurbishment back to flying condition.
INF History Report. Recently our General Manager got a phone call asking about the INF. The caller said he was a previous owner and had tracked the aircraft down to the Museum. He promised to send some information and photographs. Here's what arrived from previous owner, Joe Hitch;
Here are some pictures of the Waco when myself and Kirk Hime owned it in El Centro, California. We purchased a skeleton with all the parts and we rebuilt it. The year was 1946. We purchased the aircraft from Hank Coffin at Vail Field in Los Angeles CA. There were no log books with it when we got it so we started with new log books.
The Waco INF with its 1940s registration - N605Y
A historic photo of the Waco as NC605Y
Progress Report, June 2011.
Progress Report, August 2011.
The INF's upper (center) wing section was installed getting it one step closer to the skies.
Here's a few photos taken on Tuesday, August 2nd.
Fits just great!
Starting to look like a plane again! Great job guys!
The INF saw the light of a foggy morning on Members' Day - September 4, 2011.
Since then fitting of the flight controls and rigging of the wings has been completed.
Running the engine is getting closer - stay tuned!
On December 13th, the INF came to life for the first time in 8 years.
Big thanks to all the volunteers and sponsors who have played such an important part
in getting her one big step closer to kissing the sky once again. Here's a video of the startup with some commentary aftwards.
The INF exhaust was sent out for a shiny powder coating as it was believed the paint originally used would not last long under heat. We think it looks fantastic!