Beechcraft Expeditor (Beech 18)
The C-45 is a military version of the Model 18 (hence the common name Beech 18) light commercial transport that first flew on January 15, 1937. 5,204 military models were delivered during World War 2.
A number of C-45 transports served with the RCAF from 1944-1967 under the name Expeditor 3NM, 3NMT, 3T, etc., as a twin-engine navigational trainer, crew transport and a "hack", or taxi. Versions of both the C-45 and its civil counterpart, the Model 18, served with thirty of the world's air forces.
Between 1958 and 1964, the two local RCAF Auxiliary units (442 and 443 Sqns) flew about a dozen of these aircraft.
One of the first business airplanes readily available surplus after WW2, these popular aircraft underwent many modifications and engine variations. Some, including a few fitted with seaplane floats, still fly commercially.
This aircraft served with RCAF 401 (Aux) Sqn (Montreal), 403 (Aux) Sqn (Calgary), plus RCAF Stations Rivers, Portage la Prairie and Summerside. It was sold as surplus in the 1960's and bore the civilian registration CF-CKT, and during its career was used for smoke jumping.
Purchased by the Canadian Museum of Flight in 1982 it was airlifted to the museum in 1984 from Abbotsford Airport by Okanagan Helicopters.